About this item
- VARIOUS WAYS TO WIN - Cellulose is a worker placement game that encourages many winning strategies over multiple rounds. Each round begins with acquiring income at Sunrise. In the Daytime phase, use your worker placements to activate organelles and specialize in specific resource productions like water, proteins, and carbohydrates. Then in the Evening reset for the next day and score the central vacuole competition. Adopt long-term strategies like claiming cell component cards, or building the cell wall; you'll want to play Cellulose over and over to try new advanced strategies!
- BIOLOGY THEME - The game board's central plant cell models how actual plant cells sustain life, converting water and CO2 into carbohydrates in the chloroplast and transforming carbohydrates into ATP in the mitochondria. Our family board games for adults all contain a Science Behind the Game booklet, edited by a diverse group of Ph.D. doctors and scientists from around the world. Learn more about the accurate biology that guides educational board game play.
- SHARED RESOURCES - In Cellulose, resources are scarce and action spaces are limited, so accomplishing your goals requires prioritizing your placements. Many actions also deplete a shared water source between players. As players compete to collect water and carbon dioxide to create carbohydrates, water becomes more scarce and is harder to collect efficiently. This balancing act creates strong player interaction and simulates the importance of key resources in the cell.
- TWO ADDITIONAL SCENARIOS - After you’ve played the base game, change it up with the included Cactus and Mangrove scenarios. The Cactus makes water scarce and more valuable, while the Mangrove adds a unique underwater Plant Board that changes your income options. Each scenario adds new challenges and demands new strategies to succeed, meaning you can play Cellulose again and again!
- PLAYER COUNT AND GAME TIME - Cellulose is a science board game for gamers who love science, or anyone looking for a fun board game to add to their family game night. 1-5 players can play and each game takes 60-90 minutes to complete. The included solo mode pits a player against a fast-growing A.I. component, Ivy, and includes an additional board and deck for a unique challenge. Cellulose also makes a great gift for scientists, doctors, chemists, biologists, homeschoolers, and teachers in your life!
Let’s Get Cellular!
Cellulose is a strategy board game that gives players greater control to compete over limited resources to generate photosynthesis, produce carbohydrates, and build the cell wall to score points.
This box is packed to the rafters with components that cover the primary cell functions.
It is designed to model some of the functions and tensions of plant cells in the context of larger organisms. Scenarios tailor your gameplay story to different plant species with unique circumstances and adaptations. Each Scenario sets realistic conditions that compel participants to play in ways that parallel plant responses—while creating exciting play variations.
Each round of Cellulose is one day played over three phases: Sunrise, Daytime, and Evening.
Players can win through multiple different strategies and clever tactical play. With everyone vying for the same actions, players must time their use of proteins, hormones and cell component cards to diversify strategies, outplay the competition—and WIN!